Events: Taste Of The Wasatch, SLC Taco Fest, Stanza
Taste Of The Wasatch 2017 – Last nag about this one. Tickets are almost sold out, but if you act especially quick, you might snag one of the few remaining ones. My advice is you do. If you need any last encouragement to get a ticket to the best food event and fundraiser of the year, how about the full menu, now available online? Here’s a snippet:
Aerie Restaurant at Snowbird Ski & Summer Resort
– Pork meatball, roasted eggplant tomato sauce, aged Parmesan cheese
– Pork belly tostada with house kimchi
– Assortment of hand-rubbed artisan cheeses
– Not Your Average Corn Dog: kettle corn grits, pork confit, apple creme, pickled mustard
Blue Boar Inn
– Poached shrimp and kale caesar salad
– Spicy lamb sliders; tomato cherry sauce and pickled vegetables
Chabaar Beyond Thai
– Curry puff, curry, rice and kombucha
Chaia Cucina Catering
– Spicy chilled roasted Mirasol pepper bisque with goat yogurt and crispy shallot
– Cherry tomato jam, Thai peanut sauce, confit porkbelly, cream cheese and arugula on a beef patty
– Smoked eggplant tartlet with an heirloom tomato relish
Deer Valley Resort
– Pacific rock fish ceviche; Meyer lemon, fresno chili, fresh cilantro, tequila; white corn tortilla chips
– Duck or beet pastrami with kraut, mustard seeds and dill
Fire and Slice Pizza
– Margherita pizza with basil, sauce, fresh mozzerella, rosemary oil; rosemary and parmesan flat bread with bacon jam or mascarpone spread (mascarpone and jalepeno jelly)
Fireside on Regent
– Heirloom tomato and mayonnaise tea sandwiches on sliced Pullman; fire-roasted corn on the cob with chili, lime, and cotija cheese
– Caramelized Utah peach and Vadouvan emulsion, toasted quinoa, slow-roasted eggplant, pickled shallot, Thai basil
Garage On Beck
– Fried Mormon funeral potatoes with holy ranch
Garden Café at Grand America
– Shrimp Aguachile carrot juice, cucumber, cilantro; grilled stone fruit toast ricotta, arugula, radishes; assorted pastries
Glitretind at Stein Eriksen Lodge
– Fatty shoulder ribs with spicy smoked molasses grilling sauce; Utah corn, peach, pasilla peppers, snow cap beans and feta cheese
– Falafel with kafteri sauce
Harbor Seafood and Steak
– Scallops and caviar—pan-seared natural Maine scallops, caviar, avocado mash, micro sorrel, yuzu-buzz button beurre blanc
– Smoked Berkshire pork short ribs with stone fruit and chateau La Caille Enchante glaze
– Chipotle BBQ beef nacho with charred corn salsa, crumbled cotija, and pickled radish
– Cold duck salad over Bibb lettuce with pickled grapes, Point Reyes blue cheese and walnuts
– Chilled buttermilk soup, cucumber, Granny Smith apple, tarragon oil; house chorizo meatballs, spicy tomato sauce
Mountain Town Olive Oil
– Black truffle popcorn made with Butter Olive Oil and Black Truffle Salt; marinated tomato, cucumber, basil with Tuscan herb fused olive oil and Sicilian lemon balsamic
Now breathe, relax, count to ten. That is just the half of the menu. Yep half. And between you and me, I know of several more secret menu items that will show up on the day too… You can find the full official menu for this Sunday’s event on our sister site, The Utah Review. GA tickets are $105, VIP $150, and the event runs noon till 4 p.m. at Solitude Mountain Resort; tickets include drink tickets too. Here’s our own full preview – don’t miss this one.
Solitude Mountain Resort
12000 Big Cottonwood Canyon Rd, Solitude, UT 84121
If you want to exercise your eating (and philanthropic) muscles before Sunday’s big event up at Solitude, check out this more modest fundraiser on Saturday August 5th. Tickets for the 2017 SLC Taco Fest are just $5 and proceeds go to support Meals On Wheels.
The event is all ages and multiple taco vendors (tacos not included with ticket price) will compete in three contests: The Best Traditional Taco, The Best Veggie Taco, and The Best Creative Taco awards.
Mexican Civic Center.
155 South 600 West, Salt Lake City, Utah 84101
https://www.24tix.com/event/829212391/slc-tacofest-2017Food Truck And Brewery Battle – The following Saturday, August 12th, head to The Gateway for this other delicious battle. Attendees will be able to purchase food from more than a dozen local food trucks that have opened for business over the past 18 months along with pours from local breweries. After sipping and sampling, guests can vote for their favorites online to help kick off the Salt Awards, The Salt Lake Tribune’s recently minted award ceremony.
Food trucks include: Pizza Cone Zone, Ginger’s Garden Cafe, Touch of Polynesia, Komrades, Monsieur Crepes, Taste of Louisiana, Crumbs Donuts, Made in Brazil, Bandera Brisket, Falafel Tree and Soup-er Sandwich
Brews being poured come from Epic Brewing Company, Proper Brewing Co., RoHa Brewing Project, Fisher Brewing Company and Mountain West Cider
18 North Rio Grande Street
https://www.gastronomicslc.com/event/food-truck-brewery-battle/Stanza – New chef Jonathan LeBlanc will be offering his first tasting menu on August 17th. Partnering with brew-masters from Fisher Brewing, LeBlanc will be cooking up a special four-course menu. Brewers from Fisher will be on hand to discuss the nuances of each beer paired carefully with LeBlanc’s menu, which reads as follows:
* Braised pork belly, Yukon potato puree, Fuji apple butter with parsnip chips
* Gulf shrimp and Tasso ham, okra, pickled red onions, crystal hot sauce beurre blanc
* Pomegranate lacquered duck breast, foie gras ravioli, sweet potato butter with duck fat potato crisp
* Butter pecan pound cake, toasted coconut gelato, praline brittle
The dinner begins at at 7 p.m. and cost is $85 ($60 for LeBlanc’s menu and $25 for beer pairings).
54 E 300 S, Salt Lake City, UT 84111
Hi, I’m Stuart, nice to meet you! I’m the founder, writer and wrangler at Gastronomic SLC and The Utah Review; I’m also a former restaurant critic of more than five years, working for the Salt Lake Tribune. I’ve worked extensively with other local publications from Utah Stories through to Salt Lake Magazine and Visit Salt Lake.
I’m a multiple-award winning journalist and have covered the Utah dining scene for more than a decade. I’m largely fueled by Uinta Cutthroat, alliteration and the use of too many big words I don’t understand. I ate all the pies.
This site is 100% free of intrusive third party ads through the generous headline sponsorship by The Gateway - SLC's premier entertainment destination.