As part of Snowbird’s 2018 Pairing Series of wine dinners, Obsidian Ridge owner Arpad Molnar will be joining the Vine Lore team at The Aerie restaurant for a special meal on March 31st. Cocktails and appetizers will be served at 6.30 pm. with a four course seated dinner beginning at 7 p.m. Menu as follows:
Reception and appetizers
* Saffron mussel salad bacon-wrapped dates with goat cheese
* Poseidon vineyard, estate grown chardonnay, 2015, carneros, Napa Valley, California
* Asparagus & mushroom toast, red wine, jalapeño & cream sauce
* Poseidon vineyard, estate pinot noir, 2015, carneros, Napa Valley, California
* House-made duck prosciutto salad, arugula, preserved cherries, red wine vinaigrette dressing
* Obsidian ridge, estate cabernet sauvignon, 2015, Red Hills Lake County Ava, California
* Coq au vin, roasted chicken breast & red wine braised leg with bacon & onions
* Obsidian ridge, “half mile”, cabernet sauvignon, 2015, Red Hills Lake County Ava, California
* Chocolate cherry cake, red wine sorbet
* Obsidian ridge, “the cinders”, syrah, 2015, Red Hills Lake County Ava, California
As ever guests will also enjoy the impressive and commanding views The Aerie affords as the sun sets; located on the 10th floor of the Cliff Lodge of the resort. Cost is $119 or just $69 if you eschew the wine pairings.
9320 S Cliff Lodge Drive #088, Snowbird, UT 84092
Chocolate And Cheese Festival
Chocolate and cheese is headed to the Natural History Museum in force this weekend. On Saturday and Sunday (March 24/25) the museum is hosting the very best local producers and purveyors of chocolate and cheese. A regular admission to the NHMU is needed to access the event, which includes the following vendors:
Amano Chocolate, Amour Spreads, Aseda Wild Honey, Beehive Cheese, Butchers Bunches, Cache Toffee Collection, Caputo’s Market & Deli, Chili Beak, Chocolate Conspiracy, Chocolot, Cupcakes by Kasthuri, Di Stefano Cheese, Heber Valley Cheese, Millcreek Cacao Roasters, Millcreek Coffee Roasters, Raclette Machine, Solstice Chocolate, Sugared Caramel Candy, We Olive, Well Beyond Healthy Chocolate, White Lake Farms/Wasatch Organics.
Vendors will be offering a mix of educational info, samples and products for sale. Each will vary. In addition to the market area in the lobby of the NHMU, there are a range of paid workshops too as follows:
Children’s Workshop: The Buzz About Honey — 10:30 a.m.
Chocolate Production — 11 a.m.
Burrata Making — 12:30 p.m.
Cheese Tasting 101— 12:30 p.m.
Children’s Workshop: Chocolate Exploration — 1 p.m.
Chocolate Tasting 101 — 2 p.m.
SOLD OUT–Let’s Do Fondue! – 3:30 p.m.
SOLD OUT–Chocolate & Cheese Pairings — 3:30 p.m.
Children’s Workshop: Fondue to Fun-Due — 3:30 p.m.
Here’s a preview of We Olive’s Josh Garcia and what to expect from their olive oil sampling on Sunday:
Children’s Workshop: Fondue to Fun-Due — 10:30 a.m.
SOLD OUT–Coffee & Chocolate Pairings — 11 a.m.
Chocolate Tasting 101 — 12:30 p.m.
Children’s Workshop: The Buzz About Honey — 1 p.m.
Olive Oil Tasting — 2 p.m.
Cheese Tasting 101 — 2 p.m.
Mozzarella Pulling — 3:30 p.m.
SOLD OUT–Chocolate & Cheese Pairings — 3:30 p.m.
SOLD OUT–Children’s Workshop: Chocolate Exploration — 3:30 p.m.
The event opens at 10 a.m. and closes at 5 p.m. each day.
The Natural History Museum of Utah
Rio Tinto Center | 301 Wakara Way, Salt Lake City
Another fine wine dinner for your calendar is the latest from the always popular BTG in downtown SLC. This time around Gregg Perkins of Broadbent Selections will join sommelier Louis Koppel as the following wines are poured and paired with cuisine from chef Fred Moesinger. Wines and pairings for the evening include:
* Pea puree, ricotta, micro green crostini
* Broadbent, Vinho Verde, Portugal
* Butter leaf salad, nut crusted goat cheese, grapefruit-herb vinaigrette
* Spy Valley, Sauvignon Blanc, New Zealand
* Eggplant involtinis with lamb and pine nuts
* Chateau Musar, Rouge, Lebanon
* Grilled beef shoulder tender medallions with salsa verde and charred spring onions & carrots
* Quinta do Crasto, Douro, Portugal
* Dark Chocolate cheesecake bite
* Broadbent Verdelho
The event on Wednesday, March 28th starts at 7 p.m. The five course meal is priced at $30 and wine is an optional $35 extra.
63 W 100 S, Salt Lake City, UT 84101
The intense flavors of bitters can take a cocktail from really good to amazingly fabulous, and a heavy hand can ruin a cocktail. The nuances of creating with bitters will be the focus of a spirited educational event from 2 until 4 p.m. on Saturday, March 31 at Under Current Bar. Cost to attend is $55.
Led by Under Current’s Ryan Manning, along with special guest Andrea Latimer from Bitters Lab, this class will feature a series of stations featuring a variety of classic cocktails, highlighted with different bitters as a variance in complementing them. Guests can wander around Under Current’s mezzanine and sample cocktails like the classics: Old Fashioned, Gimlet, Manhattan and Daiquiri. The experts will guide choices of different bitters to experiment with, and they can sample and discuss the bitters on their own.
Featured bitters will include the following bitters selections and will be complemented with bites from chef Alan Brines’ kitchen with pastries from pastry goddess, Amber Billingsley:
Bitters Lab Fig and Walnut
Bitters Lab Apricot Vanilla
Fee Brother’s Barrel Aged
Bitters Lab Blueberry-Cardamom
Workhorse Rye Coffee
Bitterman’s Elemunte Tiki
Bitter End Mole
Fee Brother’s Rhubarb
279 300 E, Salt Lake City, UT 84111
Founder, writer and wrangler at Gastronomic SLC and The Utah Review. Former restaurant critic at the Salt Lake Tribune. Stuart is largely fueled by Uinta Cutthroat, alliteration and the use of too many big words he doesn’t understand. Ate all the pies.