Our menus for the evening were headed: ‘Romantic Wilderness Dining’ and ‘Nature Is Delicious Here’. Each a perfectly apt tagline for the beautiful location and cuisine available at Log Haven right now. The menu in question was from a recent menu launch I attended at the scenic restaurant, showcasing the summer creations of chef David Jones.
Fans of Jones’ cuisine will no doubt find plenty to lap up in the recent menu revamp. The Southwestern fuel in Jones’ kitchen fire, shows most strikingly in the meat department – try this dish on for size: Serrano chile pasta loaded with duck crackling, habanero cheddar, mango salsa and chipotle butter – wow.
The whole menu is packed with similarly big, bold flavors – even in places you might not normally expect; Grilled calamari comes perfumed with a billowing campfire smokiness and a quinoa crusted salmon gets close and personal with juicy honey glazed pork belly. These aren’t shrinking violets of dishes, and nor should they be amongst the rugged, beautiful terrain of Millcreek canyon.
If you’re looking for a break from the inevitable rising temperatures of the valley, or looking to treat that special someone, Log Haven should be at the top of a very short list. In addition, the restaurant has some cool specials in effect. The restaurant’s dog days of summer
event is in full swing for your canine pal, plus one particular early bird special is not to be missed: Southwestern caesar salad, pan seared prime center cut top sirloin, glace de veau, mashed potatoes, seasonal vegetable & served with Maine lobster tail and drawn butter – all for $27.50 before 6:30 p.m.
From left to right, Log Haven’s new summer menu (click images for larger versions):
* Panko Dusted Dungeness Crab Cake: shrimp, jalapeno mousseline, corn puree, kale slaw, smoked serrano aioli
* Polenta – Fontina Gratin: sunny side egg, house pancetta, spicy fried tomato sauce
* Grilled Calamari – Cerignola Olive Mignonette: smoked tomato coulis, capers, lemon mayonnaise, garlic crouton
* Heirloom Spinach – chopped egg, dry aged bacon, chives, garlic crouton, toasted mustard seed-honey dressing
* Young Kale Greens: crisp root vegetables, young goat cheese, pickled onions, walnut-sherry vinaigrette
* Quinoa Crusted Wild Salmon: honey glazed pork belly, baby heirloom tomatoes, grilled spring onions, corn broth
* Seared Scallops, Lemon Poppy Seed Risotto: English peas, baby shiitakes, fresh ricotta, caroot beurre blanc
* Grilled Whiskey-Miso Halibut: compressed super greens, pickled daikon, yuzu citrus-wasabi nori puree
* Natural SKirt Steak: frijoles borrachos, poblano chimichurri, tortilla battered sweet onion, lime aioli
* Grilled Bison Teres Major Steak: brussel sprouts, candied pancetta, cipollini onion, fingerling sweet potatoes, ailoi
* Smoked Duck And Hand Cut Serrano Chile Pasta: poblanos, habanero cheddar, mango salsa, chipotle butter
Disclosure: Log Haven comped me my meal, during a friends and family evening.
6451 E Millcreek Canyon Rd, Salt Lake City, UT 84109
Hi, I’m Stuart, nice to meet you! I’m the founder, writer and wrangler at Gastronomic SLC and The Utah Review; I’m also a former restaurant critic of more than five years, working for the Salt Lake Tribune. I’ve worked extensively with other local publications from Utah Stories through to Salt Lake Magazine and Visit Salt Lake.
I’m a multiple-award winning journalist and have covered the Utah dining scene for more than a decade. I’m largely fueled by Uinta Cutthroat, alliteration and the use of too many big words I don’t understand. I ate all the pies.
This site is 100% free of intrusive third party ads through the generous headline sponsorship by The Gateway - SLC's premier entertainment destination.
This article may contain content provided by one of our Partners or Sponsors. These are some of the best businesses in Utah. The current businesses we work with include: Alamexo
, The Angry Korean
, Avenues Proper
, Bourbon House
, BTG Wine Bar
, Caffe Molise
, Cafe Niche
, Campos Coffee
, Current Fish & Oyster
, Desert Edge Pub
, Feldman's Deli
, Log Haven
, Oasis Cafe
, Proper Burger
, Proper Brewing Co
, Saffron Valley
, SLC Eatery
,Stanza Italian Bistro
, Vida Tequila
, Vine Lore
, Whiskey Street
, White Horse
. For a list of all our past relationships and timelines, please see our historical partnerships page.